- October 20, 2018
- 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
- Wirksworth, Derbyshire
Wirksworth Wizarding Day
Dust off your spell books, wiggle your wands and shake out your robes.
On 20 October Wirksworth becomes a wizarding town for the day.
- Take a leaf out of Hermione’s book and head to the library for storytelling in the morning to celebrate 20 years since the Chamber of Secrets was published.
- Expect a day rammed with activities, stalls and events.
- Dress for the occasion – there’s a prize for best Fancy Dress.
- Expect potions and wandmaking, broomstick racing, herbology, charms.
- Visit the Memorial Hall for magically themed craft stalls and activities.
- Handle and photo owls, snakes and reptiles.
- St Mary’s Church hosts the house dormitories for the Magical Map based hunt for seven splintered souls, led by the Wirksworth Carnival and sponsored by Technolog.
- Wirksworth Scouts are planning a shop-window treasure hunt.
- The Glee Club are running a family quiz to test your knowledge of the Harry Potter books and films.
- Mount Cook will be running broomstick making and racing in Stoney Wood, as well as potion making.
The day features the launch of Wirksworth’s very own pop-up shop of official Harry Potter merchandise.
Take a break for magically themed refreshments from Wirksworth’s cafes and street vendors, including.
More details here – https://wirksworthwizardingday.wordpress.com
We are raising funds for Aquabox, Barnados, the 10th Matlock (1st Wirksworth) Scouts, Stoney Wood, Wirksworth Colts junior football team, Wirksworth Carnival and Woodie’s Wings Parrot and Owl Rescue Centre.
The day is a community event brought to you by Wirksworth Traders Association, Wirksworth Colts, 10th Matlock (1st Wirksworth) Scouts, Wirksworth Carnival Committee, Northern Light Cinema, Wirksworth Library, Mount Cook Activity Centre, Mercia, Feather Star, Hope & Anchor, Sour Cow, Two Wolves Gifts, Traid Links and inHeritage.
If you’re coming from out of town we will have limited edge-of-town Park & Ride carparks at Haarlem Mill and Ravenstor Industrial Estate. Details of how to book a parking place will be announced on the website by September. Each parking space gives unlimited rides on a London red double-decker Routemaster bus.